Friday, October 11, 2013

Quilt Club Update


My very first pin cushion. We celebrate birthdays in our club. It started with our president, Laura, who gave one of our members a handmade quilted gift that she made out of a fat quarter of fabric. I don't remember who that was since it was so long ago. So, the person who received that gift was also given a fat quarter to use for another member's birthday coming up to whip up a small gift. It's been going on for some time now and it's fun to see the gifts that have been created and given.

I had Sharon's name and decided to make a pin cushion. I copied a picture of one that I saw in a quilt magazine and then added a few personal touches of my own. Like the yo-yo on the right side with the button. I learned how to make yo-yo's this year so I decided to add that. The tape measure is actually ribbon from a local quilt shop which I was so happy to find after an extensive search. Thank you to Dizzy Diva Quilt Shop who forwarded me to Iva's Quilt Shop who had it. It's filled with crushed walnut shells (ordered over the internet) which sharpens your needles and pins when you stick them into the pin cushion. The weight of the shells also holds the pin cushion from sliding around easily. The heart shaped pins came from JoAnn's Fabric along with the red button.

The fat quarter that I was given to use was the stripe on the front with the red tulips. The back is totally made of that fabric and still had some left over. The other fabrics used came from my 'stash' which all dedicated quilters have in their closets, under their beds and in plastic bins of many sizes. Note: I had to go to smaller plastic containers after I threw my back out lifting and throwing one of my big ones.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty good. I would do the corners a little different the next time but Sharon loved it!

Thank you to my favorite quilt shops and fabric store. Even though I don't live near a big city any more, I can still find what I need since this really IS.....quilting country!



No comments:

Post a Comment