Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A Quilt With a History......

Howdy!!!

I know it's been a really long time since I've been on my blog and I've missed it. You see, I got a new Apple iPad for Christmas and that's what I use to take all my photos now, but I haven't figured out how to download them to my blog when I'm on it......so, I'm still using my trusty little digital camera to take photos that I can post on here.....my laptop. Sounds really confusing, doesn't it? Well, at least I'm back with some exciting news and photos!!


I finished Shelly's quilt!!  Yes, I did!! And what started out as just a normal Irish Chain quilt, turned into something even more special. You see, many people are part of this quilt; Grandma Schmidt, Grandma Scherrer and me, Mom.

One day Shelly came to me with what was left of the quilt Grandma Schmidt had made for her years ago; actually....it was just the top that was left. She asked me if I could maybe fix it some way and bring it back to life so she could use it again. All it took was the look on her face and the fact that she had hung onto it for so many years to make me want to restore it somehow. The squares were so worn and fragile that I knew that the whole top could not be saved. I had been in the middle of making an Irish Chain quilt for her and Shelly came up with this brilliant idea of incorporating some of Grandma Schmidt's squares into it so I stitched 11 of the squares on the top, as you can see. But, it gets better.....


While I was stitching them on, she drags out the quilt that Grandma Scherrer had made for her when she was born and wanted to know if part of that quilt could also be added. Now, that quilt was in even worse shape than the Grandma Schmidt one. But, never say never! I cut a small square from the front and one from the back and stitched them in under this black square of Grandma Schmidt's. Hence, the the "Grandma" tag stitched on top of that square. So now Grandma Scherrer was also part of the quilt. The quilt was also hand tied, just like the ones that the two Grandma's made which, I feel, just adds more charm to it.


Grandma Schmidt's original tag sewed onto one corner.......


And, my personal tag from me with my trademark hearts is tacked onto another corner.




So, you can see why this quilt carries a very special history with it. Three important women in Shelly's life have come together in one quilt to live on and hope to be passed down to one of her daughters.

It was an honor and my great pleasure to complete this quilt for my daughter. It was a lot of work, but I would do it all over again in a heart beat!!

Love You......Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment